Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Lately, I have been noticing how great it feels to paint. Just to clarify, it has always felt good but I have been painting more than ever over the past year and I feel I am really in a groove. Painting has been my passion for about 20 years now (Wow!) but I have not honored it or nurtured the process in the way that I should. I also have not painted consistently over the years. I have worked creatively in spurts developing small bodies of work and participating in local art shows here and there but never consistently enough to feel the work take on a life of it's own. I have experimented and dabbled in collage, printmaking and other mixed media forms that have been really enjoyable and have filled in the creative need when I have not painted. I have also had a small wholesale jewelry business that has been a fun filler from time to time (when I got orders or created new designs). 

My current studio space. It may be hard to tell but there are layers of paintings leaning up against the garage door.
But lately I have noticed a shift, a deeper commitment to the process, and it is when I am painting that I feel artistically whole. It's a bit difficult to put into words but there is a feeling of connection, of feeling alive and being at one with myself and the moment. It is a similar feeling to when I practice yoga or the messages I share when I am teaching a yoga class... of being in the present moment, of breathing deeply, of coming from a place deep within and allowing things to unfold naturally and just be as they are. I feel a whole lot of gratitude and much of the rest of the world, worries or concerns fall away when I am in the flow of painting. My heart opens wide and I know it is what I am supposed to be doing.