Monday, June 18, 2012

Weekend Fun

Friday night I made this flourless chocolate cake. It looks a little crumbly but it was actually dense and fudgy and oh, so tasty. Baking at almost 9000 feet above sea level is always interesting and slightly unpredictable, especially when you don't really know much about baking to begin with. I know people alter recipes to bake at this altitude but I don't know enough to know how or why. So I followed the recipe and it worked out pretty well. I shared a few pieces with some of my workmates and got the approval. My husband also gave it a thumbs up.There are lots of recipes out there and after a quick search I decided to use this one.


Saturday afternoon I hung a couple paintings at a local bakery cafe. I went in after they closed and they had cleaned the floors so the chairs were up on the tables. The paintings will be up for the rest of June so I will have to go in when they are open and snap a few shots to get a different perspective.


I tried to get a closer shot without the restaurant furniture. I painted these pieces in 2011 about when I was really getting back into the groove and painting a lot. I think they are about 30x40 inch canvases. I love painting bigger pieces, they are so much fun.The more canvas the more space to express and develop the work as well as get physically into it.



Lately, almost every weekend, we work on home improvement projects. But, yesterday we decided to take the day off and go out and play. We took our little 4x4 machine out into the forest and on the county roads to explore. It was such a beautiful, sunny, warm day. We saw a little bit of wildlife- a deer and a coyote. We stopped for lunch along this river. It couldn't have been more perfect.


Speaking of big paintings... here is a new piece I started yesterday morning before we left on our adventure. It is a 36x48 inch canvas. I know it will evolve many times before it is finished. I look forward to the process and to see what takes shape.