Friday, October 19, 2012

On My Easel

Well, actually, on my work table... but easel sounded more romantic. 

Here are two of my most recent pieces that I have been working on over the last few days. It's a bummer that I didn't have any progress photos because these went through LOTS of changes... for the better. I am feeling happy with them and that is what I listen to when I am working... how does it feel? It is amazing what feelings can come up during the "birthing" of a new creation. There is an ebb and flow that feels much like riding a wave. Joy, excitement, wonder, sadness, frustration, fear, worry, happiness, contentment, satisfaction... I absolutely love this process even when the not so good feelings come in. I have learned to be with the process no matter what it brings and trust that it will work itself out. I used to struggle with the feelings that brought me down when I felt like the painting was taking a turn for the worse, that I was "ruining" it. But, I have come to realize that this is just a natural part of the work. It is a safe place to experiment, take risks and see what happens... it is only paint after all. It is an amazing "relationship" that we develop with our work. Some we dance with and never miss a step, others we grapple with, set aside for weeks or months before we revisit them, some we even start over, fresh, new, clean slate...
I am so in love with the process of painting and who it lets me be... myself... and how it makes me feel... joyfully ALIVE!  I am curious... What is your creative process like? How does it make you feel? What do you experience?


16 comments:

  1. Christina, love these new paintings. I also struggle with my paintings when I don't feel like they are turning out right. But i agree, just stick with it, trust your instincts and somehow they turn themselves around. And if not, I just paint over them and start over :)
    I love your work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Starting over is such a great option... which I have done MANY times!

      Delete
  2. These are just gorgeous, Christina! I love them. Your edges are so beautiful and "misty"...that's hard to do with acrylic....love love love! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the wonderful compliment, Shelly! I have fallen in love with acrylic- I started out in oil and never thought I would touch anything else.

      Delete
  3. Lovely work. I love the colors that you use and your soft subtle approach

    ReplyDelete
  4. These two paintings are just gorgeous! I think the final painting reflects all the emotion that goes into creating it. I know I get very emotional creating. It can be exhausting. Which is why I usually have a glass of wine near by, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Oh yes, wine can be a great addition to our painting process!

      Delete
  5. Christina, I am in love with your work. Your color palette is so uplifting and the patterns in your flowers and leaves and unique. Love! ;-)))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work Christina! I use to start on a canvas or journal page and get pretty darn upset because it just didn't look like I wanted it to. I would put them away and let them stack up. Now that I trust my process more I just keep working, confident I can "make it work". I have also learned to take photos because of all the changes I make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy! I have been trying to make a habit of keeping my camera by my side... for many reasons!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful. I love your colours and vibrant energy in your pieces Christina. I like your writing style too, feels very at home and real. I like what you said about the relationship we have with our work - dancing with some pieces, and getting stuck with others. It's so true, and such a natural part of the creative process. It's a good feeling through when you can let it all go and not hold back, knowing you can paint right over everything if you want. That was a big turning point for me when I realized it didn't have to be perfect, and I could have a do-over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turning point- yes! I used to sort of freeze up and worry, I could even feel it in my breathing- then I realized as I said in the post- it's just paint! Thanks for the lovely comment!

      Delete
  8. Lovely art! You have such a talent <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are beautiful...love the colors you combine. June Maddox

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting and for leaving your positive comments... I am here to promote goodness and positivity and welcome you to do the same.