Friday, December 7, 2012

The Benefits of Space

Over the last few weeks I have not made much time for my creativity, which is a bummer feeling, if you can relate... it's sort of like not breathing fully or sleeping soundly, eating well or like a part of me is being overlooked. And, in a way, that is just what happens, a part of me is neglected and I do not feel complete when I am not able to play in my studio. I had been positively distracted but I still felt the pull.

Sometimes, that little bit of space can help my work in the long run. I've been there before but the distance was much, much longer... like two years- a little too long. But even then something magical happened when I was finally back in the studio. Like an incredible explosion of bottled creativity that was finally released... that had been brewing, seasoning and was finally ripe for the taking.  

It may be too early to tell but, this recent short break may have been just long enough to create a slight shift in my work. Or maybe it is time anyway... I let my little birdies take flight. I am not sure how long it will last but they did not want to be in my latest paintings. I love them dearly and they worked their way into my paintings so strongly and unexpectedly in a way I never could have planned. I welcomed them and felt them calling to be in each piece. Who knows if they will be back...? Here are my newest pieces...

"Focusing on the Good" 12x12 inch mixed media

"Look Within" 12x12 inch mixed media

"Listen to Your Heart" 12x12 inch mixed media



32 comments:

  1. Gorgeous pieces, Christina!
    Absolutely lovely!
    I am your newest blog follower, too! :)
    ♥♥♥
    Happy PPF!!
    Mary
    Mixed-Media Map Art

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary! So nice to have you following.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! As hard as it can be to be away from art for a bit, it makes returning that much sweeter.

    Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that you are focusing on the good and looking within. Awesome work. Loved it. Glad you are back in the groove. Enjoy. Happy Holidays. Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gloria,
      Thanks for the kind words and for noticing my perspective.

      Delete
  4. I love these, first time I have visited the birds sound interesting, but sometimes when you start up from a break your work has moved on and if you try and go back, it is never quite sucessful, so good on you for looking forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon, So true... it can be hard to go back sometimes as it doesn't feel right anymore... we'll see. You can see some of my birds throughout the posts here if you like. :)

      Delete
  5. I love the colourings and the glow that reaches out from within. Beautiful work. Happy PPF, x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pieces! I love the colors. Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful pieces with vibrant positive energy, luminous colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy that the positivity is coming through- one of my goals with my art. Thanks!

      Delete
  8. Your pieces are beautiful and I love the title of each one. Such positive messages.
    As much as we love to create, a break can also be an important part of the creative process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginny! I never used to title my pieces but I love doing so now!

      Delete
  9. This is amazing art work. Blessings, Janet PPF

    ReplyDelete
  10. love what you did.. a pause in your life.. that is what you need. To nourish your soul, your creativity. Love your pieces of artwork. It certainly reflects you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elisa, Thanks for the nice comments- I strive to make happy, positive art and I try to be that way in life too.

      Delete
  11. Your art speaks volumes about you...love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are gorgeous Christina! I love how you described being away from art-making for too long as feeling like you've forgotten to breathe or like some big part of you is being overlooked. It's funny too though how coming back again can bring you to a new place with your art, and I think letting your art and your style evolve is a wonderful part of being an artist. There is always new territory to explore! Happy creating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree that we evolve and so does our art. And isn't it so great to be able to explore new territory, as you say? One of the many amazing gifts of art.
      Thanks!

      Delete
  13. These are beautiful. The colour is shimmering and glowing all at once. And the patterns are great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting and for leaving your positive comments... I am here to promote goodness and positivity and welcome you to do the same.